0% Interest for 60 Months Available on Qualifying Equipment Purchases with Approved Credit! Apply Now Read More

Skip navigation


Serving Northern Allegheny & Butler Counties

24/7 Emergency Service Available

We're the Renewable Experts--Ask Us! Learn More

Call Today!

Serving Northern Allegheny & Butler Counties

24/7 Emergency Service Available


Kennihan Plumbing & Heating, Inc. Blog

Common Misconceptions About Furnace Efficiency


A common misinterpretation homeowners have is that having efficient equipment means they have an efficient system. A 95% efficient furnace means that your equipment is burning and using 95% of the fuel, while the other 5% just goes out the exhaust.  While your equipment may be high performing, in most cases, your entire system is not.  Once that efficient furnace heats up your air it goes through a hole ductwork system to be spread throughout the house. This means the air could:

  1. Be going through your unconditioned attic (how cold is it up there…40 degrees?)
  2. It could be escaping the improperly sealed ductwork and heating areas that don’t need heated.

 According to the National Comfort Institute, only 57% of the heated air actually ends up heating your home.  Talk about going from a passing grade to a failing one! You may be asking: “Ok, so now what?” Well, here’s the good news. If we installed your furnace we have already made some significant improvements to your system.

  1. We have likely lowered the static pressure by modifications in your return ductwork.
  2. We have added an air cleaner that keeps the efficiency of your equipment high performing.
  3. We have set up your furnace to provide the best air distribution possible for you.

How can we make your entire system more efficient:

  1. Check your ductwork size and make sure it is appropriate for your system.
  2. Insulate the ductwork (if it goes through the attic) to make sure your heated air doesn’t cool down before it gets where it’s going. Often, the insulation value required for the ductwork is a lot less than what’s required for the attic, even though it carries your heated air!
  3. Ductwork sealing makes sure to stop the leaks that send the air elsewhere instead of to your rooms.

Call us and we’d be happy to help you find out how to really make your system efficient.

Contact Kennihan Plumbing & Heating, Inc. today to schedule an appointment with our professionals. We treat your home like it’s our grandma’s home.

Comments are closed.